12 Aug 2003

See here

I had my headset out of its velvet-lined box again today. I was monitoring the help-line for Drum-Drum, a Hearing Aid company, who quote a number on their warranty documents.

The calls usually blend with the others, but there has a recent spate of complaints, as there is a manufacturing fault that causes the Model 6 to pick up radio messages. In certain regions of the country, the Model 6 has been tuning into a Taxi Company. We have decided to isolate the calls, so they have been directed to my team this week.

I don’t think that it was a good idea putting Joan on the line. All the calls went along the same lines:

Customer: HELLO, IS THAT DRUM-DRUM …

Joan: (talking to Barney, in the background) muffle mumble

C: HELLO, IS THAT DRUM-DRUM …

J: HELLO, THIS IS DRUM-DRUM HELPLINE, Joan Speaking. HOW CAN I HELP YOU.

C: I keep hearing voices …

J: SORRY LOVE, IT’S A BAD LINE; YOU’LL NEED TO SPEAK UP!

C: Pardon?

J: Eh?

C: What did you say?

J: Excuse me?

And so on.