4 Sept 2003

Talking Shop

Ian and I were in Call Centre Tony’s Canteen Confessional at lunchtime today.

I chatted about the communication project for my contribution to the sales stream today. The next meeting is due later this week. I have been pushing it to the back of my ‘Things to Do’.

Ian gave me some advice. “Make sure you are the gate-keeper for the forum, chat room and instant messaging and it will make all the extra work worthwhile. You’ll get to see EVERYTHING. Bernard will think that the forums will enhance adviser’s ability to fulfil their role. Instead, it is a platform for decadence.”

I hadn’t considered the advantages of snooping on my colleagues until Ian pointed it out. “Is it ok to read other people’s mail?”

“Yep. Yep. Yep. You MUST. It is part of the role. You need to make sure that the facility is not being abused. You can turn a blind eye to some ‘social uses’.” He was getting more breathy and excited. “Nine months after the installation of the software in Glasgow and most of the women were on maternity.”

Call Centre Tony’s Interview will be published on Monday.